Monday, November 30, 2009

Eid update!

Okay. Do you know what's more tiring then Eid day; it's the days before Eid.

Forget the waking up feeling like shit thing, the first thing you want to do after an all-nighters is a nice breakfast, but the first smell that hit you when you enter the kitchen the days before Eid is the smell of the mixed spices, the famous Shiwa (1) Bzaar (2) that we use every Eid to marinate the meat in before throwing it in the dug up in the ground oven.

This time I decided to get my hands dirty, so I walked in the kitchen and asked my dad if he needed help and he was like “good, you're here, help me with this” so I spent the afternoon helping my dad cleaning and washing the meat and then marinating it.



Here is the meat after it being washed, kind of bloody I know! We kept the fat of on, so that it melts in the oven and gives that smoky taste.


The famous and our family secret Bzaar!

We put them in this metal container, we also put some lemon and banana leafs between the chunks of meat, this time my dad sprinkled them with sesame seeds.

See the Bzaar oozing from the holes? Yummy

This is the oven I was talking about; it’s just a big hole with a huge pipe in it and a huge metal cover. We put the container in and then we light the wood and we leave it in the ground for about a day or two.

I didn't find a picture of the meat, but I will post it as soon as I have one.

I can't wait for the Eid next year. ^_^

(1) - Shiwa = cooked meat.

(2) - Bzaar = Mix spices.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So interesting. You people do have an Eid. My Eid is very boring :[


I'd like to say something about the title: the World is Mine.

The Japanese words you wrote there are only making a phrase (鉱山の世界は), and the way to say "the World is Mine" in Japanese is actually "これは私の世界です." (=kore wa watashi no sekai desu.)

Best wishes

Anonymous said...

Well, that was before Eid!
My Eid (specially this one) was really boring, you will see, I'm posting about it soon.

Thanks for the info.

^_^

Anonymous said...

You're welcome:]